Some children – what can I say, almost all – going into the store, lose their heads. After all, there are so many toys, sweets and beautiful outfits around! And all this must be bought urgently. What’s on the top shelf? “Mom, are you sorry, or what?!” What if the child demands gifts, meets you in the evenings with the words “What did you bring me?” and arranges a tantrum in the trading floor?
ITSELF TEACHED …
Such behavior is easily formed and fixed in any baby who has received the desired “on demand” several times in a row.
We live in a consumer society and we ourselves do not notice how we accustom a child to gifts. Especially when adults want to talk, and the baby needs something to do …
Slowly, the child learns: if he wants something, then you need to press, insist, make a scandal, and adults will give up. Think about it and probably remember a few episodes when you got half an hour of free time in exchange for a gift. Change tactics!
AS A REWARD
How many dangerous points you need to pass with your baby to get from home to a kindergarten or clinic: stalls, kiosks, shops!
● Use the chance to stimulate the child: let him, for example, learn the days of the week or numbers – in order to earn himself a toy. If the kid hasn’t begged for anything all week, then on Friday you go to the store for a “prize” (just limit the amount in advance).
● In the supermarket, think up a to-do list for the baby: bring a carton of milk to the cart, put apples on the scales, find flour on the shelf. Did you manage? You can talk about buying goodies. It is so important for a child to feel important – very often the joy of being able to help you overshadows the prospect of getting a chocolate bar.
ACCORDING TO THE RULES
The child is far from such concepts as salary, inflation. He wants to get a specific thing here and now. If you refuse without explanation, he gets angry and offended, feels rejected.
It’s better to be clear why not. For example, because:
● “I didn’t plan to buy anything.”
● “Today is Wednesday, and we decided that
We buy toys on Fridays. Let’s count how many days are left.
● “We don’t buy toys on the street (on the train, in the underpass) because they are of poor quality.”
Did the kid throw a tantrum? Exit one: don’t react. Yes, the first time you will have a hard time. But trust that the child will quickly abandon a method that does not work. In order for him to stop being a beggar, it is necessary to show willpower and act consistently.