Loss of attention and memory can manifest itself in different ways.
- Disconnection from something important. A person’s attention wanders and cannot stop at one object. This condition is called prostration. It occurs due to lack of sleep, stress.
- Long-term concentration of a person on something. For example, a driver driving a car for several hours falls into a stupor and forgets about other things.
- If an individual is strongly concerned about some issue, then he also may not notice anything around him and forget to do elementary things.
- There is absent-mindedness or forgetfulness in mobile children who are forced to do their homework. And they want to jump and run at the same time.
- When a person consciously tries to avoid any unpleasant places or questions, he also becomes quite absent-minded.
- In old age, there are often cases of forgetfulness due tothat the concentration of attention becomes insufficiently active, and its switching to other objects can slow down a little.
Frequent forgetfulness is a common phenomenon. In extreme old age, it manifests itself in the following moments.
- Elderly people find it difficult to do any work because they lose the ability to remember important things.
- Often, older people may experience some memory lapses. Because of this, they are poorly oriented on the ground.
- Age-related forgetfulness leads to difficulty speaking and to the lack of a logical perception of reality.
It must be said that dementia is very different from normal age-related forgetfulness due to damage to two parts of the brain at once. What can not be said about simple childhood forgetfulness. Being in immature age, individuals are prone to easy forgetting. For example, feed the fish, do homework. When further maturation occurs, a person who is too preoccupied with something can leave the iron on, do not take a wallet to the store, etc.
When such cases occur frequently, they cause concern about their health. Are these concerns really that serious? Let’s try to figure it out.
The work of the brain is so extensive that you can not even imagine what a complex activity it is.
Our individual processor needs to control, analyze, sort everything. Every minute, a huge amount of information enters the mind, which should be remembered, the necessary one should be highlighted, and the rest should be deleted as unnecessary.
Human memory can overflow from time to time, just like computer memory. Especially often this phenomenon occurs in those people who are engaged in colossal mental work. If you do not give the brain a rest from time to time, then elementary forgetfulness will come.
Remember that our memory is divided into long-term, operational and short-term. Unnecessary information that enters short-term memory is quickly deleted. That is why many of us suffer from forgetfulness. There is no need to panic about this. Maybe, forgotten information was not so important compared to what is of interest (for example, to learn a large amount of educational material). That’s why your intellect just weeded it outleaving more serious information in mind.
It is enough to focus on a certain business, and less important events fade into the background. Many different worries make it impossible to focus on everyone at once with equal force. You will definitely miss something and forget. Therefore, such forgetfulness cannot be considered a pathology.
This process is called simple focus.
If forgetfulness appeared at a young age, then simple absent-mindedness due to the high mobility of the individual can become its cause. Highly Difficulty focusing on one object when it is necessary to carry out the educational process, to play. Therefore, memory failures occur. In this case, uninteresting things are forgotten. Bright events fill the attention of the individual, so they are well remembered.
Psychologists say that forgetfulness can be a sign of high intelligence. When a person is focused on learning or on studying some important issue, he has a forgetfulness of elementary things.
And as we already know memory automatically filters out uninteresting information due to the fact that the individual does not show due interest in it. For example, a 11th grade student is busy preparing for the exam. Its goal is to absorb knowledge in several subjects at once. Attention is focused on this work, so it does not respond well to other stimuli.
Naturally, information that an individual does not even try to remember will not be able to be deposited in memory. For memorization to occur, a person needs to experience some emotion or show an elementary interest in it.
Women’s forgetfulness often appears due to hormonal disruptions. During menopause, it can come suddenly. It is associated with aging. Therefore, you need to take these phenomena carefully and consult a doctor for advice.
There are other reasons for forgetfulness. Let’s list them:
- malnutrition: the exclusion of carbohydrates from the diet leads to starvation of the brain, which affects its work;
- bad habits: alcohol, smoking and other negative hobbies lead to a delay in the development of cognitive abilities;
- haste can also cause forgetfulness;
- when the body does not have enough water, the brain starts to work worse;
- stressful situations and lack of sleep contribute to involuntary forgetfulness.
In addition to correctable moments that lead to forgetfulness, there are those that are difficult to correct. It can be various tumor, atherosclerotic processes or intoxications.
The onset of Alzheimer’s disease is also accompanied by frequent forgetfulness. Today it is reliably known that this disease provokes a decrease in the concentration of neurotransmitters (substances responsible for transporting information). They are formed with amino acids. Therefore, for a person metabolism is very important, which is provided by proper nutrition.
If you often forget the latest information (street names, numbers of cars, minibuses or words that you rarely use), contact a specialist. Perhaps you have problems with the blood supply to the brain. As a result of this process brain cells do not receive oxygen and nutrients in the right amount. Hence the poor memory.
To get rid of brain malfunctions, specialists prescribe drugs that eliminate these problems. As a result, the memory is quickly restored. Another good help to get out of a state of forgetfulness is the use of drugs. with Omega-3 or glucose.
With age, there are failures in the transportation and processing of energy. They lead to frequent problems with remembering information. When this happens, experts prescribe medications that improve memory.
If a person is physically active, then his brain is saturated with oxygen. So, it works well without pills. There is only one output here: older people need to move more.
If this option is not possible for any reason, you need to take nootropics. This medicinal line contributes to the stimulation of activity, increases the ability to learn. Nootropics must be prescribed by a doctor.
Self-medication is fraught with negative consequences. It must be remembered that Amino acids are also important for brain function.. When old age sets in, the body stops producing them on its own. Therefore, there may be violations of the brain and memory.
There are folk remedies that help increase brain performance. Various extracts from plants stimulate the work of the whole organism, which means that memory improves. These include lemongrass, ginseng, etc.
But if you do not want to be treated, you can try and other techniques.
- Make a list of tasks that you have to complete. To do this, start a diary notebook and write down in it all the items that you need to do during the current and subsequent days. So you train yourself not to lose sight of anything.
- There is another easy way. Some people apply a fairly thick dot on the outside of the palm (near the index finger) with a pen. Your hands are always in sight, and the label will become a reminder.
- Weak memory is observed in those who do not get enough sleep. Therefore, sleep at least 8 hours a day.
- Do not abuse bad habits.
- Do Mindfulness Exercises and watch your behavior. Establish control over your “I”, so as not to be distracted from the right things.
- Use reminders (installed on the phone). This is a great help if you need to perform some action at a certain time. For example, take a pill.
- Complete the assigned tasks in order.
- Get plenty of rest and even try meditating. The latter method also helps to deal with stress.