Features of remembering numbers
Without special exercises for the brain, an ordinary person is able to remember numbers by pronouncing 7 characters aloud in the forward order, and 5 in the reverse order. A trained memory gives unlimited possibilities. It is important to find a suitable memorization method. There are certain groups of methods.
- “Numbers – images” – create stable images of each digital sign. It is necessary to focus on its external similarity with a specific subject. For example, a unit is like a spear or a pole. It is not uncommon to use a connected story to recreate the chain of a numerous digital series.
- “Numbers – words” – each character is assigned a letter equivalent. It is necessary to find 10 suitable letters that will replace all single digits. Sometimes when memorizing numbers, they come up with words that begin with the desired letters. Then they make a proposal. Two-digit numbers are usually encoded, turning into ready-made words. The Shed system offers to select words with the same number of letters in the number. For example, the number 2865675 turns into the sentence “There were scientific books on the shelf for a long time.” It is enough to remember the phrase in order to reproduce the number at the right time.
- “Numbers are numbers” – select the necessary associations with numbers and use them to memorize the digital series.
For example, the number 23021941 is easy to remember when turning it into the date February 23, 1941.
There are simple techniques for remembering numbers.
The method of figurative hooks is popular. It is necessary to present the following pictures to visualize each figure:
- mentally turn the unit into a nail or arrow;
- deuce – in a swan or a curved snake;
- three – in a mustache or a flying seagull;
- four – in an inverted chair or sail;
- five – in a five-pointed star or a fishhook;
- six – in an open padlock or whistle;
- seven – in a stick or poker;
- figure eight – in a roly-poly or hourglass;
- nine – into a tadpole or a jumping dolphin;
- a bagel, a lifebuoy, a ball, a plate, etc. can serve as a way to remember the number “0”.
This is how hooks are created in the imagination. For example, using this method, you need to remember the number 804. It is enough to imagine a snowman resembling a figure eight. Next to it is a snowball – a blank for a snowwoman. This lump is like zero. In the distance, a chair is stuck upside down in the snow, which in the imagination appears as a four. The picture in thoughts is imprinted, and at the right moment it is reproduced.
Large numbers are easier to remember if you create two-digit combinations from them and associate them with vivid images, namely:
- the combination of two zeros resembles glasses;
- 03 – ambulance;
- 11 – skis;
- 25 – a quarter of the year (snowy winter, golden autumn);
- 69 – sixty nine (6 virgins);
- 78 – seventy-eight (sowing, you can expand the word: north), etc.
To memorize numbers, individual associations are often used. You need to attach the number to some important date for a person, height, size, number of the school where he studied. If you need to remember the digital code of the lock, the data of your passport, identity card or phone number, you need to remember important events from your life.
For example, someone is looking for a job. When riding a trolleybus past a banner with the telephone number of an organization that requires specialists, a person cannot write down the number. There is only one way out: quickly remember.
Let’s look at an example of how memorization occurs with the help of personal associations. Suppose the telephone number 942-16-39 is fixed in memory by the following reasoning:
- in 1942, a grandmother was born;
- On the 16th, my brother had a wedding;
- the last two digits are the best friend’s apartment number.
After that, a visual image is created in the imagination: a grandmother at her brother’s wedding in a friend’s apartment. In the future, you can not write down this number, because it will be imprinted in memory for a long time.
The alphanumeric code is used to memorize long numbers. First, the numbers are converted into letters and then added to various words. So, the certificate number 864610 is turned into the word “in the evening” when mentally comparing the eight with the letter “B”, the six with the letter “E”, the four with “H”, the ones with “P”, the numbers “0” with the letter “ O”.
Some replace the number with the initial letter of its name. Zero becomes H, one becomes E, two becomes D, three becomes T, four becomes H, five becomes P, and so on. At the right moment, the passphrase pops up in memory automatically. When memorizing short numbers, the pure visualization method is often used.
You need to mentally imagine large bright numbers.
They can blink, move, fall. Simultaneous pronunciation aloud allows you to quickly memorize the desired number. For example, for the purchase of a shoe cabinet, measurements of the hallway were made, which should be written down in the imagination in giant red numbers right on the wall.
Location method involves the mental use of objects arranged clockwise in a familiar place. You can attach any number to them. To do this, you should number all the items and remember the numbers corresponding to them well.
Memory training for kids
The method of associative links is ideal for working with children. It is easier for kids to learn to recognize numbers from pictures that show the same number of objects next to the digital sign. For example, 2 apples are drawn near the deuce, 4 strawberries are drawn near the four. Two-digit numbers are best remembered when laying out and counting cubes.
There are many interesting authoring techniques for young children. In one of them, small rhymes are proposed, aimed at creating an association of an object with a digital form, deliberately placed at the end of a rhymed couplet.
The use of this technique makes it possible for the number to take root in the memory of the child.
To remember the unit, the following associative rhyme is used:
“Thin nosy gentleman
It always stands alone.”
To remember the deuce, the image of a swan is often used:
Grass grows around the pond,
The swans have arrived. There are two of them.”
In one of the author’s methods, the rhyme sounds like this:
“The swan swam out to us barely,
Turned into a number two!