What it is?
Business image plays a big role in the process of perception of each specialist. In the event that a professional has a good reputation, he feels more confident and is popular among colleagues.
At its core, the image of a business person is the image that every professional creates around himself, the way he wants to be perceived by the people around him (boss, clients, colleagues).
It can be concluded that such an image is of great importance in promoting a person up the career ladder. This is already apparent when applying for a job.
So, a well-written resume, cover letter, the presence of letters of recommendation are a huge advantage.
In this regard, today all specialists are concerned about creating their business image, and this applies to both young and experienced professionals in their field. When shaping your image as a business person it is very important to pay attention to all the details (even those that at first glance may seem insignificant).
Components of the image
Generally speaking, the image of a business person is his holistic image. However, it consists of a number of constituent components. Let’s consider them in more detail.
It is no secret that the appearance of a specialist plays an important role. Appearance inconsistency can lead to denial of employment or promotion even if professional skills and competencies are at the level. That’s why A large number of people primarily pay their attention to this particular component.
Of course, to create a suitable appearance, you need to choose good clothes and a suitable hairstyle. A versatile option is a business suit. However, in some situations, such attire may be inappropriate. In these cases, you need to dress more freely, while at the same time respecting the dress code.
For example, loose-fitting trousers and a shirt are suitable, for women – a blouse and a skirt below the knees.
As for hairstyles, it is traditional in the business world for men to have their hair cut short. Hair in women should be neatly collected or carefully styled.
Attention should also be paid to the condition of the skin and nails. Nails should be clean and well-groomed, the same applies to the skin. Women are allowed neutral manicure (for example, French). Do not wear too bright make-up, it should be in pastel colors. In a corporate environment, the presence of attributes such as piercings or tattoos is negatively perceived.
And also it is worth paying attention to the choice of high-quality and light perfume.
The mimic component of the image of a business person is manifested primarily in communication. So, the person should speak with a slight smile, have a friendly facial expression, and generally be positive. Very often on our face you can “read” our reaction to a particular event. A business person needs to keep this fact in mind and try to be as discreet as possible. If necessary, it is recommended to practice in front of a mirror.
In the process of forming a business image, special attention should be paid to your speech apparatus and its development. The whole point is that voice, tone and manner of speaking greatly influence the holistic perception of the specialist. In addition, the speech itself must be correctly constructed.
Particular attention should be paid to the words and phrases used, the way sentences are constructed. Various speech defects can also play a negative role.
Many businessmen seek specialized help from coaches who help them to put their voice and develop their speech apparatus. Also, reading books is helpful.
The kinetic component of the image of a business person and his image is in posture, gait and movements. In this regard, you need to adhere to a certain moderation. For example, it is indecent to sit, lounging in a chair. At the same time, it is not recommended to slouch.
The mental component of the image of a business person is understood for the most part as his worldview, which includes moral principles and ethical attitudes. Generally speaking, there are no specific restrictions on how a person should think and feel. However, it should be borne in mind that, being part of society, you need to adhere to business etiquette and generally accepted rules of conduct.
The perception of a business person is also formed in accordance with his material well-being and depends on what benefits he has (a personal car, a country house, antique furniture, designer accessories, and much more). In this respect it is recommended to stick to the golden mean: on the one hand, your things should emphasize your status, and on the other hand, not create an atmosphere of bragging.
It would seem that the background elements of the business image do not directly depend on you. However, the background is formed on the basis of and taking into account information about you, which can be distributed through a variety of channels (media, social networks, customer reviews). That’s why the image you have developed should be shown in all life situations: not only at a business meeting, but also at a family dinner or in a store.
It can be concluded that The image of a business person is a complex concept that is formed from a large number of various components.
That is why it is so important to pay attention to each of them.
How to create?
The formation of the image should begin with introspection. To do this, you need to try to objectively assess your own personality, its advantages and disadvantages, those features that can harm the image and those that support it well. It is quite difficult to carry out such work on your own, therefore, at this stage, businessmen and lawyers often resort to the help of third-party specialists (for example, psychologists), as well as friends and relatives.
After this preparatory stage is completed, you can proceed to the direct formation of the image.
Currently, most businessmen and influential people are men. That is why the process of forming a business image of a representative of the strong half of humanity is faster and easier. .
It is important to pay attention to all the above components and gradually improve each of the elements.
Modern business women insist that it is much more difficult for women in business than for men. To some extent, this fact is true. So, in order to gain respect in the corporate community, a woman needs to prove that a career in her life is really of great importance, since in modern society the representatives of the beautiful half of humanity are perceived as the keepers of the hearth and comfort.
What is unacceptable?
When building your business image, it is very important to avoid mistakes that can become fatal.
- Ignoring cultural characteristics and mentality. Very often, domestic businessmen are guided by the Western market, trying to repeat the behavior of well-known figures (for example, Steve Jobs). However, at the same time, there is absolutely no analysis of the market of our country and the peculiarities of the mentality of domestic citizens. If you make such a mistake, then you can form a negative image.
- Independence. Often business people who are used to achieving everything on their own are not ready to seek help. However, in the process of image formation, such actions are mandatory. So, designers and stylists will help you choose a wardrobe, get a haircut and make-up, business coaches will tell you how to behave in negotiations and explain the secrets of public speaking, public relations agents will help you create a positive image in the media.
- Reluctance. Many businessmen believe that building an image is an unnecessary exercise and a waste of time. The main thing, in their opinion, is to have professionalism in their field, as well as to achieve their goals. However, it is not. Of course, your competencies should be the basis of your business, but at the same time, the perception of you by the public plays an equally important role.
In order to successfully create a business image, follow a few simple tips.
- Don’t copy famous people. Very often in the business environment, you can see that many novice businessmen try to copy the appearance, habits or lifestyle of already established and famous people. This tactic is not correct. Of course, you can focus on the images that inspire you, but you must remain yourself, be an individual.
- Take a systematic approach. Don’t try to improve every area of your life all at once. It is better to draw up a rough plan, and act in accordance with it. So, to begin with, take care of your appearance, form a professional wardrobe, select the appropriate styling, then proceed to improve the speech apparatus, and so on.
- Focus on current trends. When shaping your business image, pay attention to trends that are relevant in the business community. Thus, you will remain competitive and up-to-date specialist.